1: To attract, develop and retain quality staff in IDL
2: To develop and strengthen mechanisms to achieve financial sustainability for the institute
3: To access undergraduate and postgraduate training programmes
4: To develop or acquire and maintain necessary physical infrastructure and equipment for IDL
5: To enhance the development of print and electronic learning materials in Distance Learning (DL) mode
- To expand access to tertiary education.
- To provide a complementary mode of learning to the conventional lecture room session and, thereby, reduce the pressure on university facilities.
- To introduce a level of flexibility to the acquisition of a university degree, diploma and certificate.
- To offer demand-driven certificate and diploma programmes of study through sandwich and other distance learning modes.
- To establish off-campus Learning Centres in the regions to serve as co-ordination points for student activities, student support services and points of interaction between students and facilitators.
- To serve as a link between the learners and the main KNUST campus.