Prof. Isaac Dontwi, is the Director of KNUST-IDL from June 2015 to date. From 2014 to May 2015, he was the Institute’s Acting Director having served as its Acting Dean and Dean from 2008 – 2014 and 2014-2015 respectively. As the Director of the Institute, Prof. Dontwi is responsible for providing leadership; maintaining and promoting quality; efficiency and good governance, among others.
Before joining the IDL in 2008, Prof. Dontwi served in various academic and professional capacities within KNUST. These include;
- Dean of the Faculty of Physical Sciences,
- Head, Department of Mathematics, and
- Vice Dean of the Faculty of Physical Sciences, College of Science.
- Internal and External Examiner/Assessor for numerous Master of Science (MScs) and PhDs students from the Department of Mathematics, Environmental Science, and from other various science related programmes.
Born in Agona Swedru, Prof. Dontwi attended Mfantsipim Secondary School, Cape Coast, and Ghana Secondary Technical School, Takoradi for his “O” and “A” Levels, respectively. He enrolled in the Kishinev State University, Kishinev, Moldavia, for his MSc in Mathematics and Cybernetics and then the Odessa State University, Odessa, Ukraine, for his PhD in Mathematics and Physics. In 2003-2004 he enrolled in the University of Texas, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A., for a Certificate in Education, and finally obtained a certificate in Commonwealth Executive Master in Business Administration [CEMBA] at the KNUST Institute of Distance Learning in 2009.
His academic and professional interests span three main areas, namely, Pure Mathematics, Mathematical Modelling of Real Systems and Mathematics Education. As an accomplished mathematician and scientist, Prof. Dontwi has contributed to the work of the University and served at national and international levels in various capacities. He has conscientiously discharged his duties diligently at all levels, be it national or international.
Prof. Dontwi is a member of numerous internationally acclaimed scientific societies and associations. Prominent among them are:
- Professorial Member, KNUST Council
- Founding Centre Member and President, International Federation of Nonlinear Analysts-Ghana (IFNA-Ghana Centre);
- Member – Africa Biomathematics Society;
- Member – Energy Research Group (Ghana);
- Member-Secretary - Ghana Mathematics Society;
- Member – International Biometrics Society; Member - Mathematics Association of America;
- Member – National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, America;
- Member - Mathematics Association of Ghana;
- Associate, National Centre for Mathematical Sciences at the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission;
- Member, African Forum for Mathematical Ecologists;
- Member - Ghana Science Association
- Member – West Africa Science Association
- Government Appointee to the Board of University of Energy and Natural Resources Council, UENR, Sunyani;
- Acting Director, National Institute for Mathematical Sciences (NIMS), Ghana;
- Interim-President (Ghana), International Biometric Society (IBS) and
- Vice President (West Africa Sub-Region) Africa Biomathematics Society.
Prof. Dontwi teaches a number of Postgraduate and Undergraduate courses in the Department of Mathematics, Department of Physics, KNUST School of Business, Department of Civil Engineering, Department of Chemical Engineering, and Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Prof. Dontwi has authored and co-authored numerous scientific research papers and book chapters which have been published in local, national and international scientific and mathematics journals.